Search

Syndicate

Atom

katy @ ngenius.com

Heading Off Trouble

Boomers might ward off Alzheimer's with brain exercises

My father died at 62, full of mental agility even though his heart gave out for the last time. My husband’s father died at 62, a man of still-brilliant intelligence taken down by malignant melanoma.

Our mothers, though, have lived to be 78 and 86, long enough for Doug and me to become just a wee bit frightened of Alzheimer’s. You’d be scared, too, if you were us.

But even 35 years ago, when my father’s sister retired from a long and successful career, he told me she was in big trouble. “She’s a genius, but the second she quit working, she refused to read a newspaper or a book, or to do a crossword puzzle or play Scrabble. She’s going to end up with Alzheimer’s.”

Sure enough, she did. Within a couple of years of her retirement, she was failing fast. Soon, she was in a nursing home, and didn’t survive long.

I think of my aunt often when I read current news about keeping the brain active and in training in order to avoid Alzheimer’s. Even something as simple as using your non-dominant hand to perform simple tasks, or closing your eyes while using the keyboard, or purposely taking a different path to the office can cause new connections to be made in the brain.

It shouldn’t surprise ambitious Boomers that now there’s a growing demand for brain fitness training.

“People are worried,” says Dr. John Hart Jr., Medical Science Director of the Center for BrainHealth at the University of Texas at Dallas. “You have a large group of the population getting to the age where they are sort of vulnerable to degenerative neurological diseases that seem to be prevalent.” Hart says there is “reasonable evidence” that challenging your brain by learning new things can stave off the cognitive decline that comes with aging. But brain fitness programs differ from traditional learning by focusing on drills for specific cognitive abilities, such as concentration and retaining information.

I gotta say, I still regret giving in to the calculator. I know they were around when I was in high school, but we were forbidden to use them then. If you couldn’t do the problem, you couldn’t do it. And you know what? Now that I use a calculator to do my checkbook, I sure don’t add and subtract as easily as I used to. I’ve kind of lost something in translation.

That seems a shame, doesn’t it? I’m going to start some of the brain exercises on the Internet. And I’m going to get on the ball writing my second novel. If that doesn’t keep those old neurons firing, nothing will.

Posted by Katy on 06/17/08}
in Health

1. You do really need something to exercise your brain after retiring. So many people lose a part of their intelligence. It’s really sad to see

Posted by how long does weed stay in your system  on  10/05/09  at  12:34 PM

2. Thanks for this well crafted piece of writing about such an important issue facing us.

Posted by Danbury CT Chiropractors  on  12/23/09  at  01:39 AM

3. If you couldn’t do the problem, you couldn’t do it. And you know what..? Now that I use a calculator to do my checkbook, I sure don’t add and subtract as easily as I used to.

Posted by Bridges To Recovery  on  01/18/10  at  05:40 AM

4. Today in this hectic world our brain needs some exercise, as it seems to be performing huge in continuous working working sessions.

Posted by Interior Design Ideas  on  01/25/10  at  02:27 AM

5. Shallow tread…Bald tires tend to skid and slide on the pavement, and are more likely to be damaged by potholes and other road hazards. The tread on your tire should be at least 1/16 of an inch deep. If it isn’t, the tire must be replaced. To help you see tread problems, tires have built-in “tread wear indicators.” These are narrow bars of smooth rubber that run across the tread: When the tread is even with the bars, it is worn down to the minimum level and must be replaced immediately. You can also perform a simple test using a West Los Angeles Chiropractic. Put the edge of the coin into the tread, with Lincoln going in head first. If the top of Lincoln’s head is covered by tread, that’s good. If the top of his head is entirely visible, it’s time to replace the tire.

Posted by kaka  on  02/09/10  at  09:37 AM