Search

Syndicate

Atom

katy @ ngenius.com

Everybody’s Talkin’ At Me

Here’s a situation I’m just not happy with: our cell phone/land line/Internet charges.

Because we have a business and because I simply cannot hear using a cell phone (I’m deaf in one ear, which complicates things considerably), we have a line line. In fact, we currently have two land lines. Plus Call Notes (AT&T’s answering service) on both lines. We share one cell phone, with 450 minutes per month plus 5000 weekend and anytime minutes. We don’t come anywhere close to using our 450 minutes. NO WHERE close. And we never text, although I noticed that on my most recent bill, we got charged for six such messages.

Our land lines, cell phone, and Internet fees are all bundled with AT&T. The taxes, surcharges and other “special fees” alone add up to $33/month! (Of all the fees I resent, I resent the special ones the most.)

We don’t make many long distance calls. But since I can’t hear on the cell, I usually pick up the land line to make them. And it’s usually in a quasi-emergency situation, like when I need to call my out-of-town sister over my mother’s hospitalization. It does add up. What I need to do (I guess) is call my person and then ask them to call me back, using their cell phone minutes and free long distance. Then I would pick up my land line and be able to hear. That’s the best plan I can come up with at the moment, although Skype would also work, I’m sure.

I’m voting for immediately losing one of our land lines, and relying on Caller ID to notify us of calls we need to return. Additionally, I’m voting to ditch AT&T CallNotes and go back to a phone with an answering machine component. CallNotes costs WAY too much money, and yes, it we dump it we won’t be able to call in remotely to hear our messages. But if we carry a cell phone, why is that so important?

As a Late Boomer, I feel like I need to get a handle on some of these ridiculous expenses. None of my adult kids have land lines, and I envy their freedom. I doubt if that will ever completely work for us, but we need to know some alternatives that are working for others.

What are you doing to keep your telephone/Internet charges under control? How low can we go, dollar-wise, and still enjoy the services we need?

Posted by Katy on 05/30/08}
in Personal FinanceProduct Complaints

1. I am voting to ditch AT&T CallNotes and go back to a phone with an answering machine component.

Posted by ipod touch accessories  on  11/10/09  at  02:02 AM

2. This is really good sharing.this is really awesome article.

Posted by myspace profile design  on  12/12/09  at  05:26 AM

3. Guys what you think about the future of cell phone. i am afraid it will fade out soon since there are lot of network that confusing people.

Posted by home theater deals  on  12/15/09  at  04:17 AM

4. Shop prom dresses, formal dresses, prom shoes, 2010 designer prom gowns at PromGirl. Find homecoming,
    cocktail dresses, graduation dresses,plus-size formal
    Cheap Prom Dresses
    Homecoming Dresses
    on best wedding dresses for 2009 and 2010. You can find latest collection of woman’s dresses and casual dresses on this site
    Quinceanera Dresses

Posted by dress  on  09/10/10  at  03:42 AM

5. This latest model will not accommodate 4G connectivity. While see as a major setback for the franchise many people see 4G as over kill and that it was more important for Apple to become a global force to be reckoned with over getting new technology in place.

Posted by iPhone 5 releases date  on  08/19/11  at  09:28 PM