Search

Syndicate

Atom

katy @ ngenius.com

Tattle Tale

High-tech car keeps grandma driving

“Every time I drive my car, I get lost,” my mother-in-law told her oldest daughter.

“But, Mom, you only drive within five minutes of home…”

“It’s fine. I stop at a gas station, show them the address on my license, and they point me toward the house.”

“Really, Mom, it sounds like a problem to me.”

“Don’t worry. And whatever you do, don’t tell the others.”

If you’ve ever tried to wrestle car keys from your elder, you know how nearly impossible a task it can be. That’s why I’ve got to wonder how many senior citizens would actually put themselves in the situation of voluntarily submitting to an ongoing critique of their driving habits.

Doug Newcomb, writing for the Wired Blog Network, tells us about a dandy automobile that will be on the market about the time the boomers’ children start to ask for their old folks’ keys:

The car of tomorrow will make senior citizens better, safer drivers and let them know when they ought to hang up the keys for good. It also could tell the DMV. Researchers at MIT’s AgeLab are building the “Aware Car,” a Volvo XC90 packed with cameras, monitors and sensors that keep tabs on drivers and their behavior to improve safety. The technology won’t be ready for another 20 years—but that’s about the time the last of the Baby Boomers will have turned 65 and one in four drivers will be that age or older. AgeLab studies the quality-of-life issues of an aging population, and the idea behind the Aware Car isn’t getting older drivers off the road but allowing them to drive safely as long as possible.

Tell me, with all the secrecy that typically surrounds advancing dementia and other concerns of old age, do you really think the Aware Car will ever be a big hit with Boomers intent on hanging onto their independence?

I didn’t think so.

Posted by Katy on 06/06/08}
in FamilyOur ParentsHealth

1. Tattle Tale is an American musical group that existed between 1992 and 1995. Composed of Jen Wood and Madigan Shive, they were well-known in the Riot Grrrl scene, playing what was later to be termed folk punk.

Posted by Safety  on  04/21/10  at  09:58 AM

2. I have a 67 mustang and I want to switch out a C4 to an AOD transmission. I have 2 1/2 ton jack stands to support the car but I’m not sure how high the car needs to be in order to slide floor transmission jack to remove and install the transmission. Any ideas would be appericated.

HID Conversion

Posted by HID Conversion  on  08/09/10  at  03:20 AM

3. If designed well, it can save you a lot of time. So make sure that you test your system. You don’t want to end up at the loosing end just to find out that your trading system is not working the way you want it to.

Posted by Stock Update  on  10/20/10  at  02:46 PM

4. The diesel performance chip will help you make the most out of your vehicle. This is primarily due to the fact that most pressurized engines and diesels are made with so much reserve capacity that a turbo motor chip or diesel performance chip can provide you with huge performance gains.

Posted by car tuning  on  06/01/11  at  01:10 AM

5. Complete golfer is the Uk’s leading on line golf retailer with a huge range of golf equipment, golf clubs, golf clothing, and golf shoes from all the leading brands Including Nike Golf, TaylorMade, Callaway , Mizuno and Titleist.

Posted by completegolfer  on  06/30/11  at  08:49 AM