Search

Syndicate

Atom

katy @ ngenius.com

Tattle Tale

High-tech car keeps grandma driving

“Every time I drive my car, I get lost,” my mother-in-law told her oldest daughter.

“But, Mom, you only drive within five minutes of home…”

“It’s fine. I stop at a gas station, show them the address on my license, and they point me toward the house.”

“Really, Mom, it sounds like a problem to me.”

“Don’t worry. And whatever you do, don’t tell the others.”

If you’ve ever tried to wrestle car keys from your elder, you know how nearly impossible a task it can be. That’s why I’ve got to wonder how many senior citizens would actually put themselves in the situation of voluntarily submitting to an ongoing critique of their driving habits.

Doug Newcomb, writing for the Wired Blog Network, tells us about a dandy automobile that will be on the market about the time the boomers’ children start to ask for their old folks’ keys:

The car of tomorrow will make senior citizens better, safer drivers and let them know when they ought to hang up the keys for good. It also could tell the DMV. Researchers at MIT’s AgeLab are building the “Aware Car,” a Volvo XC90 packed with cameras, monitors and sensors that keep tabs on drivers and their behavior to improve safety. The technology won’t be ready for another 20 years—but that’s about the time the last of the Baby Boomers will have turned 65 and one in four drivers will be that age or older. AgeLab studies the quality-of-life issues of an aging population, and the idea behind the Aware Car isn’t getting older drivers off the road but allowing them to drive safely as long as possible.

Tell me, with all the secrecy that typically surrounds advancing dementia and other concerns of old age, do you really think the Aware Car will ever be a big hit with Boomers intent on hanging onto their independence?

I didn’t think so.

Posted by Katy on 06/06/08}
in FamilyOur ParentsHealth

1. Most of the senior citizen facing this problem. hope gps is the right way to all this problem. if there is a full furnished gps system it will sure will help them.

Posted by Miami limo service  on  11/07/09  at  12:13 AM

2. gm has a hydrogen car on the market now but its high cost will keep most of us from buying one

Posted by Minneapolis Airport Taxi  on  11/16/09  at  06:50 AM

3. May be it will. i dont know much about that . but at least it may help us to feel good about their safety .

Posted by Car Layouts  on  12/02/09  at  12:46 AM

4. The Chevrolet Volt coming out in 2010. This is an electrically driven vehicle.
    It can be driven about 40 miles without starting the engine. To be driven further it has an on-board flex fuel engine that runs a generator. This can either provide electricity to the electric motors that propel the car or it can recharge the batteries.

Posted by seguro scooter  on  12/02/09  at  05:32 AM

5. They also manufacture accessories and offer complete packages trailer contains everything needed to tow your car and you’ll find everything you need for a safe, pleasant walking bracket kits to braking systems, tail lights for trucks trailer. On the other hand, if you plan to frequently connect and disconnect, then a collapsible tow bar may be the best option for you and your vehicle.

Posted by Tow bar  on  12/17/09  at  02:57 AM